SANE / SART
Tuba City Regional Health Care Corporation (TCRHCC) SANE/SART program serves sexual assault victims by providing a comprehensive medical treatment and confidential forensic evaluation by nurse experts through a coordinated community response.
The goal of TCRHCC SANE/SART Program is to enhance, develop service areas and promote
- High quality victim centered care
- Multidisciplinary service
- Support for all victims of sexual violence
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE)
What is SANE?
A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a registered nurse specially trained to provide care to sexual assault patients (adults and children). The sexual assault examiner conducts medical forensic examination and can serve as an expert witness in court. SANE nurses work with police, prosecutors, child protective serves and advocates to provide the best and most appropriate care.
Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)
What is SART?
SART is Sexual Assault Response Team
- Victim Advocate
- Forensic official (SANE)
- Law Enforcement
- Emergency Department Providers/SANE
- Social (NN, Paiute & Hopi)
The overall goal of sexual assault response is that victims of sexual assault are returned to the level of functioning prior to the assault or a higher level as personal growth occurs through the experience. A larger goal is to create secure communities free from victimization. Two means are to accomplish this goal: healing and empowerment. Elements of healing are the mind, body, and spirit. Empowerment enables the victim to hold the offender responsible for the acts and to be able to self-advocate for unmet needs
How do we help victims of sexual assault?
- SANE service is available 24 hours, 7 days a week
- Triage upon arrival to TCRHCC
- Medical Screening/Evaluation and emergency department treatment if needed.
- Adult and children sexual assault examination within the facility
- SANE service: forensic interview (Law Enforcement, SANE/medical provider), forensic examination and collection of evidence if needed.
- Follow up services: Referral to mental health, outpatient clinics (Pediatric or Same Day clinics), Navajo Nation Social Service, and Hope Tribal Social Services
Tuba City Regional Health Care Corporation (TCRHCC) Emergency Department provides 24/7 Pediatric sexual assault examination unit in The Western Navajo Agency (SANE/SART Exam Rooms).
The SART/Sexual Assault Response Team at TCRHCC provides a ‘safe place’ for victims of sexual abuse to receive appropriate medical care, emotional support, and individual comprehensive medical-legal examinations by a team of specially trained medical professionals.
TCRHCC Emergency Department has a SANE Nurse or a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner on call 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week.